Every year since the first gen iPhone was released way back in 2007 we’ve eagerly expected a new phone. Before every launch we hear all sorts of rumors/leaks and some of them inevitably end up being true, so while we take everything we hear with a healthy dose of skepticism, it’s still worth paying attention.
Main Rumors Summarized in the following points:
1. Design-According to third party cases the iPhone 5 is going to have an iPod style curved design. Others believe that the iPhone 5 will have the same design as the iPhone 4 with better specs. This is the most likely as can be seen from the iPhone 3G and 3Gs almost have an identical design. Another rumor is that the new iPhone will have a 4 inch screen an increase of 0.5 inches from the previous iPhone. I see this to be highly unlikely as all the apps will have to be modified to fit the new 4 inch screen.
2. Camera and Components-The new iPhone is said to have dual LED flash with an 8-megapixel rear facing camera and a 5-megapixel front facing camera. The iPhone 4 took a major leap in camera quality from previous generations and may be following up on those changes.
Talk about the A5 chip going from the iPad 2 to the iPhone is old news–it’s one of the rumors that is most likely to be true. Still, it is a rumor, so we won’t accept it was fact until the iPhone 5 ships with that sweet dual-core.
3. Sadly the iPhone 5 will not support 4G capabilities “as too much will have to be tempered with the phones guts” ,states Apple.
4. iPhone 4S? It’s been rumored that Apple may be waiting a bit longer to release the iPhone 5 and in the meantime will release an iPhone 4S in September. It will have the same body as the iPhone 4, but with a few upgrades, such as an A5 processor and better cameras. But don’t get too upset… There’s also talk that the iPhone 4S would be released in additon to the iPhone 5 and will be marketed as the budget iPhone.
5. Release Date– Latest rumors say that the iPhone 5 will launch on October 7th. Pre-Orders will start September 30th but nothing is confirmed yet as many dates have been thrown around! However, the well-connected “AllThingsD” has adamantly insisted that the iPhone 5 would not ship until October.